A unique opportunity
We’re reinventing ourselves. We’re completely rethinking our publishing products and global components in order to better engage with our users and provide amazing experiences across different Schibsted applications and across any device. We have access to the biggest and best brands in publishing in Scandinavia, a dynamic user base that numbers in the millions, and the freedom to break away from any and all technical legacy. There’s a blank page in front of us. We want you to come help us fill it.
We’re seeking brilliant Android engineers to join our team in Stockholm to work on our media distribution products and global components.
Schibsted Media Group is an international media group with 6800 employees in 31 countries. From Mexico to Malaysia, from Brazil to Norway – millions of people interact with Schibsted companies every day. We ensure that new and old sofas can be sold. News reports are read and watched when, where and how consumers want. Weather reports are checked with quick online services. Carpenters are found through a couple of clicks. Prices are compared and the latest fashion is browsed. These examples are just some of the ways our services empower people all around the world in their daily lives.Schibsted Products & Technology is a brand new technology start-up within Schibsted, with offices in London, Stockholm, Barcelona and Oslo. Our philosophy is built on keeping an open mind, challenging ourselves and the status quo. The goal is to shape the future of our industry. To achieve this we recruit attitude in addition to technical skills.
In terms of way of working, we have full freedom. We use best-of-breed products like GitHub, Slack and AWS and have access to whatever hardware is needed to get the job done. The expectations for what we’re trying to deliver are extremely high, and we’re able to pick the best tools for the job to deliver on those expectations.
About Schibsted Media Platform
We are looking for an experienced Android Engineer to help kick-start Media Distribution – an exciting new product area within Schibsted Media Platform. The Schibsted Media Platform is a modern, digital-only set of tools for creating and managing rich media content. Having originally evolved from a new, modern CMS developed to power the Omni newsroom it’s now being adopted by all of Schibsted’s media houses, including Aftonbladet and Svenska Dagbladet but also Blocket.
The Media Distribution team will build a common mobile framework on top of the Media Platform. Including, but not limited to, UI frameworks and SDKs providing common news app functionality. The team will support the various media houses in experimenting and innovating locally on engaging and magical user experiences, and continuously integrate the innovations into the Media Distribution platform so that all our media houses can benefit from them.
About identity and global components
The future of Schibsted products is all about personalizing the experiences for our users. We want to make it feel like every one of our products was made just for you and that you can move between our different applications seamlessly and effortlessly.
To make this vision a reality, we’re reimagining our portfolio of identity products. We’re thinking mobile-first, concentrating on providing an amazing user experience on native applications. We want to enable our users to sign up, sign in, move between applications and even devices in the most natural way possible. We want users to be able to jump from an article on VG to a related story from Aftenposten or a posting from FINN.no without worrying about the fact that they’re changing applications. We want users to move from their iPhone to their Apple TV to keep consuming the same news story without skipping a beat. And most of all, we want to do all of this while making the user’s privacy our highest priority.
Identity is the start of that vision, but we’ll also be building a whole suite of global components that Schibsted brands all over the world will be able to leverage.
As an Android Engineer you will be involved in building:
- A great user journey between our ecosystems of apps
- Experimentation systems for our apps
- Great developer experience for app developers in Schibsted
- Unique payment functionality
- Effortless authentications
- Presence and continuation functionality between web and mobile
- Apps that protect users privacy everywhere
- Personalized feeds of content
- Next generation publishing apps
- You have a Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science (or similar)
- You demonstrate mastery and deep experience of Android development:
- You know how to write readable, idiomatic and maintainable Android code in Java
- You have a deep understanding of Android design patterns and API design
- You care about quality and you know what it means to ship high quality code
- You are prepared to take on a lot of personal responsibility for the deliverables you work on
- If you have experience working collaboratively with geographically distributed teams, that would be preferable (we have teams in London, Barcelona, Stockholm and Oslo)
- If you have released at least one app on Google Play or have a project in the works that you can tell us about, that is a merit
- If you have eperience shipping robust mobile technologies or cutting-edge apps that have been enjoyed by large numbers of users, that would be a plus