A unique opportunity
We’re reinventing ourselves. We’re completely rethinking our publishing products and global components in order to better engage with our users and provide amazing experiences across different Schibsted applications and across any device. We have access to the biggest and best brands in publishing in Scandinavia, a dynamic user base that numbers in the millions, and the freedom to break away from any and all technical legacy. There’s a blank page in front of us. We want you to come help us fill it.
We’re seeking brilliant Android engineers to join our team in Oslo to work on our next generation publishing products and global components.
Schibsted Media Group is an international media group with 6800 employees in 31 countries. From Mexico to Malaysia, from Brazil to Norway – millions of people interact with Schibsted companies every day. We ensure that new and old sofas can be sold. News reports are read and watched when, where and how consumers want. Weather reports are checked with quick online services. Carpenters are found through a couple of clicks. Prices are compared and the latest fashion is browsed. These examples are just some of the ways our services empower people all around the world in their daily lives.Schibsted Products & Technology is a brand new technology start-up within Schibsted, with offices in London, Stockholm, Barcelona and Oslo. Our philosophy is built on keeping an open mind, challenging ourselves and the status quo. The goal is to shape the future of our industry. To achieve this we recruit attitude in addition to technical skills.
In terms of way of working, we have full freedom. We use best-of-breed products like GitHub, Slack and AWS and have access to whatever hardware is needed to get the job done. The expectations for what we’re trying to deliver are extremely high, and we’re able to pick the best tools for the job to deliver on those expectations.
As an Android Engineer you will be involved in building:
- A great user journey between our ecosystems of apps
- Experimentation systems for our apps
- Great developer experience for app developers in Schibsted
- Unique payment functionality
- Effortless authentications
- Presence and continuation functionality between web and mobile
- Apps that protect users privacy everywhere
- Personalized feeds of content
- Next generation publishing apps
- You have a Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science (or similar)
- You demonstrate mastery and deep experience of Android development:
- You know how to write readable, idiomatic and maintainable Android code in Java
- You have a deep understanding of Android design patterns and API design
- You care about quality and you know what it means to ship high quality code
- You are prepared to take on a lot of personal responsibility for the deliverables you work on
- If you have experience working collaboratively with geographically distributed teams, that would be preferable (we have teams in London, Barcelona, Stockholm and Oslo)
- If you have released at least one app on Google Play or have a project in the works that you can tell us about, that is a merit
- If you have eperience shipping robust mobile technologies or cutting-edge apps that have been enjoyed by large numbers of users, that would be a plus