Schibsted Media Group is a global media company driven by new technology. We employ around 7,000 people across 31 countries worldwide, all dedicated to helping our 250 million users discover, build and connect. Schibsted’s solid reputation of trust and security is a legacy of our 177 year history in news and publishing, but recent growth is the result of forward thinking in three separate areas: Marketplaces, Media Houses and Growth. Ongoing investment in the development of new technologies means many of the world’s most popular online marketplaces and online newspapers are part of Schibsted Media Group. Our pioneering digital media houses are acknowledged as world class in web TV, mobile and paid online services. And with our flourishing portfolio of rapidly expanding digital companies we are leading the fusion of established traditional media and emerging new technologies.
Schibsted Marketplaces is a brand new division within Schibsted, with offices in London, Stockholm, Barcelona, Madrid, Paris, Krakow and Oslo. Our philosophy is built on keeping an open mind, challenging ourselves, and the status quo. The goal is to shape the future of our industry. To achieve this we recruit attitude in addition to technical skills. If you are driven, ambitious, not afraid of challenges and thrive on finding new solutions, we want to hear from you. The overall mission of Marketplaces is to develop the common global product platforms and technology infrastructure necessary to create data and identity based ecosystems; empowering local entrepreneurs, delighting users, and driving Schibsted’s future growth. With over 250 million monthly active users under our belt, we’re able to harness huge amounts data to provide insights on a global scale. Together with our deep local expertise, we’ve got a winning combination.
Search engineering is a newly created team comprised by highly skilled and senior engineers, experts in the search domain. The team is responsible for providing search capabilities as a service to the marketplaces within Schibsted. Along with developing and maintaining the in-house built search engine, the team collaborates closely with data scientists in charge of personalized search features. The team is also responsible for operations and monitoring. The performance of the provided service is very important.
Why join the team:
As an engineer you will get to work in challenging topics where experience and skills matter. You will implement sensible, scalable systems and you will be asked to diagnose, resolve and prevent production issues. You will collaborate with the rest of the team and you build a strong shared technological and domain expertise. You will be part of a team with full control and ownership of its software.
- Engineer and implement highly scalable systems, using the best development practices and tools
- Help define our development environment, and communicate the best development practices within the organisation (i.e. code reviews, testing, etc)
- Continuously monitor the quality of our systems, design measurements to monitor their health (both the engineering systems and data quality)
- Keep on top of the latest developments in distributed systems, cloud, and data science fields
- Work closely with other teams (Data Science, Product and UX) at Schibsted to drive product development
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science (or equivalent experience)
- You’re fluent in multiple development languages (static and dynamic), and willing to work with C/C++ and Go
- You have a deep understanding of systems design, algorithms, and data structures
- The cloud is your friend. Experience with AWS, Google Cloud, or any proprietary clouds
- Experience with distributed computing technologies
- You are comfortable working with multiple stakeholders from different parts of the organization toward a consensus