Schibsted Marketplaces empower the world’s economy and promote sustainability by enabling anyone to sell and everyone to buy, connecting people to new opportunities and great deals every day. Our goal is to provide fantastic value to all of our 30 million daily users across 22 countries, with effective and safe online classified ads.
Schibsted Marketplaces is one of the two business divisions of Schibsted, an international organization with more than 7,000 employees in 19 countries. For nearly 200 years, Schibsted has been a trusted name in media, with leading daily newspapers in Sweden and Norway and a trusted family of digital consumer brands.
Our 3000+ employees in Schibsted Marketplaces focus daily on solving real problems for our users. With leading generalist marketplaces across Europe, exciting growth companies in Latin America and Eastern Europe, and technology hubs in Barcelona, London, Oslo and Stockholm (to name a few), our teams balance local insight with global scale to develop innovative products and features on the leading edge of digital.
Schibsted Ads common component sits at the heart of Schibsted ads platform, providing the backbone to build scalable products on top of its services. Services built by this team are used across Schibsted business in media and marketplaces.
Operating in the online advertising domain, the ads engineering teams deals with complex problems such as maintaining transaction boundaries across distributed systems based on a micro-service architecture, providing analytics solutions for our publishers and advertisers while processing TBs of data each day and in the process using latest big data technologies. This is a great opportunity to experience how online businesses operate first hand at the same time tackling some of the most challenging engineering problems of modern time.
- Engineer and implement highly scalable systems, using the best development practices and tools.
- Help define our development environment, and communicate the best development practices within the organisation (i.e. code reviews, testing, etc).
- Continuously monitor the quality of our systems, design measurements to monitor their health (both the engineering systems and data quality).
- Keep on top of the latest and greatest developments in the distributed systems, the cloud, and data science fields.
- Work closely with other teams (Data Science, Product and UX) at Schibsted to drive product development.
- Technology Stack: Scala, Spark, Asynchronous APIs with Finagle, AWS, Kinesis, DynamoDB and Postgres, Airflow and EMR, TeamCity/Travis/Spinnaker.
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science (or similar)
- You’re fluent in multiple development languages (static and dynamic), and interested in learning more. Experience in Java or Scala is beneficial, but not needed.
- You have a deep understanding of systems design, algorithms, and data structures.
- The cloud is your friend. Experience with AWS, Google Cloud, or any proprietary clouds.
- Experience with distributed computing technologies.
- You are comfortable working with multiple stakeholders from different parts of the organization toward a consensus.