You may not recognise our name, but Schibsted Media Group technologies and companies empower people every day, in every corner of the world through our media and marketplace products. Schibsted employs 6,800 people across 30 countries worldwide, all dedicated to helping our 200 million users discover, build and connect. Our customers use us to sell new and old sofas, keep up with current affairs, check the weather, find a carpenter, compare prices, follow the latest fashions…and so much more!
Scientists and engineers in our Data team are working alongside on the next generation of data products that are at the heart of Schibsted’s strategy for accelerating user growth and providing users with relevant, personalized content. We offer one of the largest and most diverse data sets in the world and we work with the latest data technologies (Spark, AWS services, Cassandra, Kafka). At the same time, we also believe that our scientists and engineers are at their best when they share ideas, problems, and solutions with each other, and so we are joined together as a unified data science team. While we work in different application areas, we support one another and push each other to constantly learn and perfect our craft. Our ambition is nothing short of becoming one of the leading sources of innovation in applied machine learning and artificial intelligence in the world.
As a Data Engineer within the Search and Discovery team, you will work alongside a group of highly talented scientists and engineers based in Barcelona and London, providing effective and efficient implementations of state-of-the-art algorithms powering search and recommendations across our online media and marketplace products.
- Engineer and implement highly scalable systems, using the best development practices and tools.
- Help define our development environment, and communicate the best development practices within the organisation (i.e. code reviews, testing, etc).
- Continuously monitor the quality of our systems, design measurements to monitor their health (both the engineering systems and data quality).
- Keep on top of the latest and greatest developments in the distributed systems, the cloud, and data science fields.
- Work closely with other teams (Data Science, Product and UX) at Schibsted to drive product development.
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science (or similar)
- You’re fluent in multiple development languages (static and dynamic), and interested in learning more.
- You have a deep understanding of systems design, algorithms, and data structures.
- The cloud is your friend. Experience with AWS, Google Cloud, or any proprietary clouds.
- Experience with distributed computing technologies.
- You are comfortable working with multiple stakeholders from different parts of the organization toward a consensus.