We are currently looking for an experienced software engineer to join our team of data engineers in Oslo. As a member of the Pulse Data team, you will join our journey as we discover how to build state of the art data processing solutions for Schibsted, with emphasis on both volume, velocity and privacy. The event data we collect from all Schibsted sites around the world is essential to our business – including feeding customized newsrooms with low-latency (“realtime”) updates, visitor insights analysis and targeted advertisement. We are solving exiting problems at scale, from gathering up to 900 million events per day worldwide while keeping users privacy and data security in mind.
You will be part of developing a modern data processing pipeline at scale for Schibsted sites around the world, for a variety of purposes, such as classification, insights and understanding and modelling user behavior. As part of the global Schibsted organization you will also have the opportunity to learn from and share knowledge with data scientists and engineers across Schibsted. We encourage a diverse, collaborative and creative work environment, where you will develop and push for the state-of-the-art in big data processing at the same time as building reliable and highly scalable services.
Schibsted Media Group is an international media group with around 7000 employees in 31 countries. From Mexico to Malaysia, from Brazil to Norway – millions of people interact with Schibsted companies every day. We ensure that new and old sofas can be sold through our digital marketplaces such as Finn.no, Blocket.se and Leboncoin.fr. News reports are read and watched when, where and how consumers want through VG, Aftenposten, SvD and Aftonbladet. Carpenters are found through a couple of clicks. Prices are compared and the latest fashion is browsed… these examples are just some of the ways our services empower people all around the world in their daily lives.
- Engineer and implement highly scalable systems and data pipelines for the Schibsted Data Platform, both for real-time and batch processing.
- Enable teams and local sites across the Schibsted organization to develop data-driven products and services through cross-team initiatives and collaboration.
- Design and implement best-in-class privacy compliant storage and access to personal data.
- Help define our development environment, and communicate the best development practices within the organization (i.e. code reviews, testing, monitoring etc).
- Help define our development environment, and communicate the best development practices within the organization (i.e. code reviews, testing, etc).
- Participate in continuous improvement of the quality of our systems by establishing performance baselines and metrics and SLAs based on these
- At least Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Informatics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics or any quantitative field.
- Knowledge and and hands on experience with some of the state of the art big data technologies, s.a. Kafka, Spark, Hadoop, Storm, Cassandra. We would like to contribute back, and the ideal candidate have contributed to one or some of these technologies and/or have an interest in continuing doing so.
- Programming languages such Scala, Java, Python but also shell scripting.
- Knowledge and hands on experience of developing services and application on cloud solutions such as AWS, Azure, Kubernetes or similar
- Familiarity of ETL-processes and how analysts work when extracting and wrangling data from a variety of sources, e.g. csv, SQL, json, services etc.
- Interest in having a broad impact in our organisation by keeping cross-team dependencies and relationships in mind while engineering solutions.
- Familiarity with devops, concurrent/multi-threaded programming, or distributed systems are all advantageous.
- Experience with Spark, Kafka, Cloudformation etc and familiarity is a plus.
- Graduates with a keen interest in one or more of these topics will also be considered.