Schibsted Media Group is an international media group with 6800 employees in 31 countries. From Mexico to Malaysia, from Brazil to Norway – millions of people interact with Schibsted companies every day. We ensure that new and old sofas can be sold. News reports are read and watched when, where and how consumers want. Carpenters are found through a couple of clicks. Prices are compared and the latest fashion is browsed… these examples are just some of the ways our services empower people all around the world in their daily lives.
Image recognition is essential to many of the services Schibsted offer, for instance to understand what sellers are posting to our marketplaces, to help buyers find specific items they are interested in, or to help journalists find the most relevant images to use in news articles. The Image Recognition team in Schibsted Product & Technology works with solving problems like these and many more.
We are currently looking for an experienced data scientist to join our small team of data scientists and engineers in Oslo and Stockholm. As a member of our team you will be part of developing modern image recognition technologies at scale for Schibsted sites around the world, for a variety of purposes, such as classification, search and discovery, and understanding and moderating content. As part of the Schibsted Product & Technology organization you will also have the opportunity to learn from and share knowledge with other data scientists and engineers across Schibsted. We encourage a diverse, collaborative and creative work environment, where you will develop and push for the state-of-the-art in image recognition at the same time as building reliable and highly scalable services.
- Develop, implement and productionize scalable image recognition services together with a team of engineers and data scientists, using tools such as Python, TensorFlow, Terraform and Amazon Web Services.
- Apply machine learning and statistics to analyze and solve problems related to image recognition.
- Drive uses and adoption of image recognition within Schibsted
- Initiate and lead projects from idea to completion. Work closely with product managers, business people and peers across Schibsted to drive product development. Communicate insights and results to stakeholders and measure and evaluate the impact
- At least Master’s degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics or any quantitative field.
- Experience with modern software development in programming languages such as Python or Scala.
- Hands on experience with current state-of-the art image processing and recognition technology and a deep understanding of the theory behind the algorithms
- Deep interest in keeping abreast with machine learning and field of image recognition
- Product-focused and comfortable working with multiple stakeholders from different parts of the organization toward a consensus.
- A track record of shipping technology while dealing with ambiguity, managing cross-team dependencies and relationships.
- Experience with cloud infrastructure, e.g. Amazon Web Services or Google Cloud.
- Experience with distributed computing technologies like Spark, Hadoop, Kafka is a plus.