Schibsted Marketplaces empower the world’s economy and promote sustainability by enabling anyone to sell and everyone to buy, connecting people to new opportunities and great deals every day. Our goal is to provide fantastic value to all of our 30 million daily users across 22 countries, with effective and safe online classified ads.
Schibsted Marketplaces is one of the two business divisions of Schibsted, an international organisation with more than 7,000 employees in 19 countries. For nearly 200 years, Schibsted has been a trusted name in media, with leading daily newspapers in Sweden and Norway and a trusted family of digital consumer brands.
Our 3000+ employees in Schibsted Marketplaces focus daily on solving real problems for our users. With leading generalist marketplaces across Europe, exciting growth companies in Latin America and Eastern Europe, and technology hubs in Barcelona, London, Oslo and Stockholm (to name a few), our teams balance local insight with global scale to develop innovative products and features on the leading edge of digital.
As an Engineering Manager at Schibsted Marketplaces you lead a team of highly talented individuals. You have management experience, and are comfortable recruiting and coaching medium sized, cross functional technical teams. You will also be able to work with a senior tech-lead to drive the architecture, implementation schedule and team culture. As with any engineer we hire, the ability to communicate well is crucial, and you lead multiple initiatives with multiple engineers across our different sites in order to build world class products.
Schibsted are building on an existing team to deliver a new Discovery component which will provide full stack services delivering innovative, personalised discovery and search features to all Schibsted’s marketplaces. The team will be LEAN and data driven. You will work closely with peers from product management and design and other teams providing ML and search components.
- Build, lead, and manage a cross-functional engineering team; to deliver, support, and maintain products in our marketplace discovery component from conception to production.
- Lead by example, write code, push the envelope with innovative thinking.
- Help enforce and continuously improve our software engineering practices, processes, and tools.
- Empower and mentor team members to improve their craft, deliver high quality products, and develop themselves as leaders.
- Work cross functionally to build a great engineering culture within Schibsted.
- Raise awareness of Schibsted Marketplaces within the technology community; through meet-ups, conferences, and open source contributions.
- Ideally you will have experience of;
- Full stack component development or packaged product managing native mobile, web and back end engineers
- Working with ML, AI or data science teams (though direct experience of building such systems is not required)
- Enthusiasm for solving interesting problems; with real intellectual curiosity and generalism.
- Growing and leading teams. Ambitious and self driven. Working collaboratively with geographically distributed teams
- AWS hosting especially Kubernetes.
- Management of on-call rotas and second line support
- You will be educated to bachelors degree level in a technical subject or have experience to offset lack of a degree level education.