Schibsted Media combines a long and proud publishing tradition stretching back to the 19th century, with digital innovation and entrepreneurship. Schibsted Media is an independent division that comprises all of Schibsted’s media businesses, including brands such as VG, Aftonbladet, Aftenposten, Svenska Dagbladet, Bergens Tidende, Stavanger Aftenblad, Fædrelandsvennen, and seven local newspapers.
The division also includes Schibsted Growth, which is home to start-ups and growing businesses such as Lendo, Prisjakt, Let’s Deal, Bynk, Fronteer Solutions, and Kickback. Growth is always searching for smart founders with ambitious ideas, scalable business models – and a mission to empower people in their daily lives.
Schibsted Media was established in the autumn of 2017, and the division contains 4000 employees who are based across Norway, Sweden, and Poland.
Our publishing teams are in it to reinvent our publishing products. We want to leap from products being desktop & anonymous by design into an ecosystem of personal & device-agnostic products, all enabled by an digital-only publishing platform for the modern newsroom. You’ll work with products and some of the biggest publishing brands in Sweden and Norway – publishers that are passionate about independent journalism and nailing a great product experience for their loyal user base.
The publishing teams’ products as a whole reach more than half the population in Norway and Sweden – on a daily basis. Sitting still is the worst thing we can do. We need passionate people to ensure we’re able to reinvent publishing in a way that meets user needs and preserves independent journalism and editorial accountability.
We are looking for experienced web engineers to join the core news product web team. The web team is responsible for developing the next generation web experience built with modern web technology and deployed across all of Schibsted’s news publications in Sweden and Norway, including but not limited to Aftonbladet, VG, Aftenposten, Svenska Dagbladet, Bergens Tidende, Stavanger Aftenblad and Fædrelandsvennen.
- You are motivated by engaging in a variety of tasks, depending on the need within the team.
- You should have a genuine interest in our products and end-user needs.
- You display a high degree of effective, proactive communication, both verbally and in written form.
- You take responsibility for your work and reach out a hand to colleagues when needed.
- You are passionate about your area of work (technology)
- You always consider what’s best for the company when making technology decisions.
- You are a natural and effective problem-solver. This requires a solution-oriented mindset, even in challenging situations.
- You enjoy working in a distributed organization, interfacing daily with colleagues in other countries and locations.
- You are a team player and have a good culture fit with our team (and company).
- Deep knowledge of HTML5, CSS
- Strong understanding of web performance, scalability, cross-browser compatibility issues and implementation constraints.
- Knowledge of Docker and experience with cloud platforms like AWS
- Understanding of concepts and/or experience with continuous deployment, integration and unit tests, documentation, GitHub, separation of concerns, DI and DRY
- Contributions to Open Source projects is a plus