Verdens Gang (VG.no) is the largest media house in Norway, and our news site is Norway’s most visited, with a huge market dominance on mobile devices. Across our channels VG reaches more than 2.4 million readers every day. VG is one of the largest media houses within Schibsted Publishing in Scandinavia.
Our mission is to contribute to a functioning democracy by closing the gap between what citizens know and what they need to know about the world around them. We aim to offer trustworthy news founded on facts and insight in a world where information is becoming increasingly more abundant and untrustworthy.
To achieve this we’re aiming at delivering simply the best news destination possible our users. This requires a dedicated and continuous investment in new technology, in a marathon to stay relevant in a rapidly changing market. In all honesty we’re not quite there yet, and we still have a lot of untapped potential. That is why we are strengthening our local development team responsible for the end user products.
As an Full Stack Software Engineer at Media Product & Technology for VG you will be part of a cross functional team of highly talented individuals. You have several years of experience, you are relentlessly technical and capable of being a strong individual and team player in a distributed team. As with any engineer we hire, the ability to communicate well is crucial, and you will participate in multiple initiatives with other disciplines across our different locations in order to build world class products.
- Be a team player and have a good culture fit with our team (and company)
- Be motivated by engaging in variety of tasks, depending on need within the team
- Should display a willingness and ability to learn and grow as requirements in the job evolve over time (which it will, due to the nature of working with technology)
- Should have a genuine interest in our products and end-user needs
- Takes responsibility for his/her work and reaches out a hand to colleagues when needed
- Passionate about his/her area of work (technology)
- A natural and effective problem-solver. This requires a solution-oriented mindset, even in challenging situations
- Displays a high degree of effective, proactive communication, both verbally and in written form
- Deep knowledge of HTML5, CSS
- Knowledge of Docker / Marathon and AWS a plus
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations
- Understanding of concepts and/or experience with continuous deployment, integration and unit tests, documentation, GitHub, SoC, DI and DRY
- Contributions to Open Source projects is a plus
Schibsted Media combines a long and proud publishing tradition stretching back to the 19th century, with digital innovation and entrepreneurship. Schibsted Media is an independent division that comprises all of Schibsted’s media businesses, including brands such as VG, Aftonbladet, Aftenposten, Svenska Dagbladet, Bergens Tidende, Stavanger Aftenblad, Fædrelandsvennen, and seven local newspapers.
The division also includes Schibsted Growth, which is home to start-ups and growing businesses such as Lendo, Prisjakt, Let’s Deal, Bynk, Fronteer Solutions, and Kickback. Growth is always searching for smart founders with ambitious ideas, scalable business models – and a mission to empower people in their daily lives.
Schibsted Media was established in the autumn of 2017, and the division contains 4000 employees who are based across Norway, Sweden, and Poland.