Schibsted Media Group is an international media group with 6800 employees in 31 countries. Of these, around 1500 people work on tech, many in Schibsted Products and Technology (SPT), where you’ll be working.
The overall mission of Schibsted Products and Technology is to develop the common global product platforms and technology infrastructure necessary to create data and identity based ecosystems; empowering local entrepreneurs, delighting users, and driving Schibsted’s future growth. With over 250 million monthly active users under our belt, we’re able to harness huge amounts data to provide insights on a global scale. Together with our deep local expertise, we’ve got a winning combination.
The Data organization is responsible for all things data, including collecting and storing data, processing the data (typically using machine learning), and gathering insights or developing features for products
You will help build state of the art systems and data infrastructure to power Schibsted’s digital transformation. Data from over a hundred of diverse sites will power great user features for our media and classified sites. This is a unique opportunity to help design, build, and scale a brand new data infrastructure system to power everything from better articles and classified recommendations to more relevant ads, as well as build production systems that improve user experience.
We offer a creative and open environment with big challenges and opportunities. We share ideas and insights with each other so that we together can make something greater than the sum of its parts. We work cross functionally. We believe in small, talented and motivated teams. We believe in running code over powerpoint slides.
As a Software Engineer in the NLP (Natural Language Processing), you will:
- Work in a small, talented and motivated team based in Stockholm and Oslo. Collaborate closely with other Data teams, e.g., Image Recognition, Recommendation and Insights, around Schibsted.
- Work on highly impactful NLP projects towards large media and marketplace sites like VG, Aftenposten and FINN in Norway, Aftonbladet and Blocket in Sweden, and LebonCoin in France.
- Initiate and lead projects from idea to completion. Talk to product managers, business people and your peers to get an understanding of the project requirements.
- Engineer and implement highly scalable systems and services using best development practices and latest tools and frameworks.
- Continuously monitor the quality of our systems, design measurements to monitor their health (both the engineering systems and data quality).
- Work closely with other teams and functions (Data Science, Product and UX) at Schibsted to drive product development.
- Define our development environment, and communicate the best development practices within the organization (i.e. code reviews, testing, etc).
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science (or similar).
- You are fluent in multiple development languages (static and dynamic) as well as both functional and imperative programming, and interested in learning more.
- You have a deep understanding of systems design, algorithms, and data structures, and a curious interest in AI and machine learning.
- Experience with cloud infrastructure, e.g., AWS or Google Cloud, and are familiar with container based architectures and microservices.
- Experience with distributed computing technologies and “big data” technologies like MapReduce, Spark, Hadoop, Kafka, Storm, Cassandra, large scale storage systems.
- You are comfortable working with multiple stakeholders from different parts of the organization toward a consensus.