Schibsted Media Group is a global media company driven by new technology. We employ 6,900 people across 30 countries worldwide, all dedicated to helping our 200 million users discover, build and connect. Schibsted’s solid reputation of trust and security is a legacy of our 177 year history in news and publishing, but recent growth is the result of forward thinking in three separate areas: Marketplaces, Media Houses and Growth. Ongoing investment in the development of new technologies means many of the world’s most popular online marketplaces and online newspapers are part of Schibsted Media Group. Our pioneering digital media houses are acknowledged as world-class in web TV, mobile and paid online services. And with our flourishing portfolio of rapidly expanding digital companies we are leading the fusion of established traditional media and emerging new technologies. Our solid foundations in both traditional and digital media make Schibsted a unique ambassador between the past and the future.
As a Software Engineering Manager at Schibsted Products & Technology you lead a team of highly talented individuals and are responsible for some of our most important products. You have management experience, you are relentlessly technical, capable of performing the role of any engineer reporting to you. As with any engineer we hire, the ability to communicate well is crucial, and you lead multiple initiatives with multiple engineers across our different sites order to build world class products.
- Build, lead, and manage a cross-functional engineering team; to deliver, support, and maintain products in our data platform from conception to production.
- Lead by example, write code, push the envelope with innovative thinking.
- Help enforce and continuously improve our software engineering practices, processes, and tools.
- Empower and mentor team members to improve their craft, deliver high quality products, and develop themselves as leaders.
- Work cross functionally to build a great engineering culture within Schibsted.
- Raise awareness of Schibsted Products and Technology within the technology community; through meetups, conferences, and open source contributions.
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science (or similar).
- Enthusiasm for solving interesting problems; with real intellectual curiosity and generalism.
- Experience growing and leading teams.
- Ambitious and self driven.
- Ability to dive in and understand deep technical problems as well as comprehend team dynamics.
- Experience working collaboratively with geographically distributed teams (we have hubs in Oslo, London, Barcelona and Stockholm) would be preferable.
The technologies we’re using:
- Java, Node.js, Scala, Python, C / C++
- Hadoop / MapReduce, Apache Spark
- Kafka & Kinesis
- Microservices Architecture; Netflix OSS / spinaker