Schibsted Media Group is a global media company driven by new technology. We employ 6,900 people across 30 countries worldwide, all dedicated to helping our 200 million users discover, build and connect. Schibsted’s solid reputation of trust and security is a legacy of our 177 year history in news and publishing, but recent growth is the result of forward thinking in three separate areas: Marketplaces, Media Houses and Growth. Ongoing investment in the development of new technologies means many of the world’s most popular online marketplaces and online newspapers are part of Schibsted Media Group. Our pioneering digital media houses are acknowledged as worldclass in web TV, mobile and paid online services. And with our flourishing portfolio of rapidly expanding digital companies we are leading the fusion of established traditional media and emerging new technologies.
Schibsted Products & Technology is a brand new technology start-up within Schibsted, with offices in London, Stockholm, Barcelona, Paris and Oslo. Our philosophy is built on keeping an open mind, challenging ourselves, and the status quo. The goal is to shape the future of our industry. To achieve this we recruit attitude in addition to technical skills. If you are driven, ambitious, not afraid of challenges and thrive on finding new solutions, we want to hear from you. The overall mission of Schibsted Products and Technology is to develop the common global product platforms and technology infrastructure necessary to create data and identity based ecosystems; empowering local entrepreneurs, delighting users, and driving Schibsted’s future growth. With over 250 million monthly active users under our belt, we’re able to harness huge amounts data to provide insights on a global scale. Together with our deep local expertise, we’ve got a winning combination.
As an Engineering Manager within the Relevance area at Schibsted Products & Technology, you will lead the Search and Discovery team, a group of highly talented data scientists and engineers based in Barcelona and London, who are working on services powering search and recommendations across Schibsted’s products. You have management experience, or an eagerness to lead, you are relentlessly technical, and capable of performing the role of any scientist or engineer reporting to you. As with any leader we hire, the ability to communicate well is crucial, as you lead multiple initiatives with multiple engineers across our different sites in order to build world class products.
- Build, lead, and manage a mixed team of twelve scientists and engineers; to deliver, support, and maintain search and recommendation services from conception to production.
- Lead by example, write code, push the envelope with innovative thinking.
- Help enforce and continuously improve our software engineering practices, processes, and tools.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest methods in Information Retrieval and Recommender Systems, and provide thought leadership in these areas
- Empower and mentor team members to improve their craft, deliver high quality products, and develop themselves as leaders.
- Work cross functionally to build a great engineering culture within Schibsted.
- Raise awareness of Schibsted Products and Technology within the technology community; through meet-ups, conferences, and open source contributions.
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science (or similar). PhD a plus.
- Enthusiasm for solving interesting problems; with real intellectual curiosity and generalism.
- Experience with Java, Spark/Scala and cloud computing (AWS preferred)Experience leading teams, or a demonstrated willingness to lead.
- Ambitious and self driven.
- Ability to dive in and understand deep technical problems as well as comprehend team dynamics.
- Experience working collaboratively with geographically distributed teams (we have hubs in Oslo, London, Barcelona, Paris and Stockholm) would be preferable.