Location: Oslo (potentially London, Paris, Stockholm, Barcelona)
We’re reinventing ourselves. We’re completely rethinking our publishing products and global components in order to better engage with our users and provide amazing experiences across different Schibsted applications and across any device. We have access to the biggest and best brands in publishing in Scandinavia, a dynamic user base that numbers in the millions, and the freedom to break away from any and all technical legacy. There’s a blank page in front of us. We want you to come help us fill it.
Users are expecting more personalized services and we need to collect users data in order to provide those services, and we need to do this in a way that the user is in control. In order to accelerate and pave the way for new privacy functionality we are building a set of privacy enhancing technologies (PETs). We aim to build these technologies in conjunction with our privacy goal of maximizing the information utility while minimizing the privacy risks and being compliant with data protection laws.
Privacy Engineering is looking for a Software Manager to lead a team of world-class back-end and front-end engineers to deliver solutions that power Schibsteds Privacy Enhancing Technologies. This is a hands-on role in the development of software systems to support existing and new product features. This role requires working closely with cross-functional teams to effectively coordinate the complex interdependencies inherent in this role.
Schibsted Media Group is an international media group with 6800 employees in 31 countries. From Mexico to Malaysia, from Brazil to Norway – millions of people interact with Schibsted companies every day. We ensure that new and old sofas can be sold. News reports are read and watched when, where and how consumers want. Weather reports are checked with quick online services. Carpenters are found through a couple of clicks. Prices are compared and the latest fashion is browsed. These examples are just some of the ways our services empower people all around the world in their daily lives.Schibsted Products & Technology is a brand new technology start-up within Schibsted, with offices in London, Stockholm, Barcelona and Oslo. Our philosophy is built on keeping an open mind, challenging ourselves and the status quo. The goal is to shape the future of our industry. To achieve this we recruit attitude in addition to technical skills.
In terms of way of working, we have full freedom. We use best-of-breed products like GitHub, Slack and AWS and have access to whatever hardware is needed to get the job done. The expectations for what we’re trying to deliver are extremely high, and we’re able to pick the best tools for the job to deliver on those expectations.
We provide an attractive package and relocation assistance for people looking to move to Oslo. There will be opportunities to travel to other Schibsted locations.
What you will do:
- Build, lead, and manage a cross-functional engineering team; to deliver, support, and maintain products in our system from conception to production.
- Lead by example, write code, push the envelope with innovative thinking.
- Provide leadership in architecting and implementing technical infrastructure for our many products.
- Help enforce and continuously improve our software engineering practices, processes, and tools.
Who are you:
- 5+ years of progressive leadership experience directing high visibility initiatives in geo-distributed team environments.
- Master’s, PhD degree, further education or experience in engineering, computer science or other technical related field.
- Deep understanding of privacy enhancing technologies.
- Passion and prior experience designing and implementing outstanding large distributed systems
- Deep understanding, and strong hands on Java/Go/C++/Python’ experience
- Experience with fast paced technology companies, and in organizations that know how to compete and win.