Verdens Gang (VG.no) is the largest media house in Norway, and our news site is Norway’s most visited, with a huge market dominance on mobile devices. Across our channels VG reaches more than 2.4 million readers every day. VG is one of the largest media houses within Schibsted Publishing in Scandinavia.
Our mission is to contribute to a functioning democracy by closing the gap between what citizens know and what they need to know about the world around them. We aim to offer trustworthy news founded on facts and insight in a world where information is becoming increasingly more abundant and untrustworthy.
To achieve this we’re aiming at delivering simply the best news destination possible our users. This requires a dedicated and continuous investment in new technology, in a marathon to stay relevant in a rapidly changing market. In all honesty we’re not quite there yet, and we still have a lot of untapped potential. That is why we are strengthening our local development team responsible for the end user products.
Schibsted Products & Technology is a technology start-up within Schibsted, with established office hubs in London, Stockholm, Barcelona, Krakow, Paris and Oslo. With more than 1800 product and technology colleagues across the world, SPT’s goal is to shape the future of our industry. With over 250 million monthly active users under our belt, we’re able to harness huge amounts data to provide insights on a global scale.
As an Engineering Manager at Schibsted Products & Technology you lead a team of highly talented individuals and are technical responsible for some of our most important products. You have management experience, you are relentlessly technical, capable of performing the role of any engineer reporting to you. As with any engineer we hire, the ability to communicate well is crucial, and you lead multiple initiatives with multiple engineers across our different sites order to build world class products.
- Build, lead, and manage a cross-functional engineering team; to deliver, support, and maintain products in our data platform from conception to production.
- Lead by example, write code, push the envelope with innovative thinking.
- Help enforce and continuously improve our software engineering practices, processes, and tools.
- Empower and mentor team members to improve their craft, deliver high quality products, and develop themselves as leaders.
- Work cross functionally to build a great engineering culture within Schibsted.
- Raise awareness of Schibsted Products and Technology within the technology community; through meetups, conferences, and open source contributions.
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Computer Science (or similar).
- Enthusiasm for solving interesting problems; with real intellectual curiosity and generalism.
- Experience growing and leading teams.
- Ambitious and self driven.
- Ability to dive in and understand deep technical problems as well as comprehend team dynamics.
- Experience working collaboratively with geographically distributed teams (we have hubs in Oslo, London, Barcelona and Stockholm) would be preferable.