Schibsted Media Group is an international media group with 6800 employees in 31 countries. From Mexico to Malaysia, from Brazil to Norway – millions of people interact with Schibsted companies every day: We ensure that all sorts of things can be sold, from new and old sofas to coffee machines and any sort of valuable items. We also make it possible for news reports to be read and watched whenever, wherever and in any way users want. These two examples are just some of the ways our services empower people all around the world in their daily lives.
Schibsted Technology is the technology division within Schibsted, with offices in many cities around the world, including in London, Stockholm, Barcelona and Oslo. Our philosophy is built on keeping an open mind, challenging ourselves and the status quo. If you are driven, ambitious, not afraid of challenges and thrive on finding new solutions, we want to hear from you.
One of the missions of Schibsted Technology is to develop the global product platforms and technology infrastructure necessary to create developer pipelines, big data processing, media management, payment, security and identity systems. With over 250 million monthly active users under our belt, we are able to harness huge amounts data to provide insights on a global scale. Together with our deep local expertise, we have a winning combination.
At Schibsted Technology we face a massive scale in highly critical production environments on a daily basis, a huge amount and diversity of users, large systems, lots of great teams and employees, etc. This massive scale comes with unique challenges both from technical and operational perspectives. If you want exposure to large scale environments as well as exposure to best of breed technologies (AWS, Mesos, Spinnaker, Docker, …) this role is for you.
We are currently looking for a creative and talented individual with a passion for technology to drive up the reliability and our products, services and systems to meet and exceed our expectations. Your primary responsibility will be development and implementation of methodologies and techniques to enhance product reliability by empowering our engineers to be responsible for their systems in the most effective way possible.
You will work closely with engineers to advocate sensible, scalable systems design as well as have the best tools to diagnose, resolve and prevent production issues. Be prepared to work based on your own technological expertise but backed up with hard data.
Our systems are global scale deployments of different services such as developer productivity tools, image and message processing systems, big data and map-reduce clusters, database and no-sql backends and many more. At all times you will be just a git clone away from real code to contribute to. We specifically have to support hundreds of services and hundreds of instances for 200M+ external users, using dynamic service discovery systems, leveraging dynamic load balancing and routing. Service to service interaction is done using circuit breaker frameworks and techniques. Near 100% uptime is done using deployment techniques such as blue/green or canary releasing. For internal services (like delivery pipelines and build systems), we support more than a thousand developers.
We strongly believe in continuous improvement of always-on systems so we relentlessly work to achieve near complete resiliency of everything we do. This means no actual user downtime and seamless infrastructure and service upgrades as well as being proactive to issues.
- Invent: identify hiddenn areas of improvement in any process or system, including changing established rules or procedures
- Investigate: respond to, fix, manage, evaluate and analyse production incidents to minimise their impact as well as devise innovative solutions to prevent them in the future
- Protect: improve the reliability and availability of Schibsted systems by gathering hard data, designing systems and creating or adapting code for increased service reliability and performance
- Survey: Implement monitoring and logging solutions enabling production systems having hundreds of instances to be monitored 24/7
- Train: Provide expert advice and training to our 1000+ engineers as to which technology solutions and advanced reliability techniques to use on each situation
- Engineer: Install, configure, fine-tune, and optimise all sorts of technology solutions.
- BSc (or equivalent) degree in Computer Science
- Strong analytical / problem solving skills
- Strong UNIX background (including concepts such as Namespaces, Capabilities, and TCP/IP )
- Proven ability and experience developing highly structured computer programs (C/C++, Golang, Java or equivalent)
- The ability to write scripts on dynamic languages to automate tasks and diagnose problems (Python or equivalent)
- Experience in building and maintaining systems at scale: service discovery, load balancing, secret management, dynamic request routing, circuit breakers and deplyoment schemes (rolling updates, canary, etc.)
- Experience with modern development tools like Git, Travis, Terraform or similar
- Experience working in reliability engineering and systems monitoring
- Experience with Docker, Mesos, AWS, GCE and similar technologies