Schibsted Media Group is an international media group with 6,800 employees in 30 countries. Every month, about 200 million people around the world interact with Schibsted’s popular digital services through our media houses, our digital marketplaces and our growth companies. Together, this fulfills Schibsted Media Group’s mission of ’Empowering people in their daily life’. Learn more at www.schibsted.com.
Two things are crucial for current and future success: the right people and the best business ideas. Schibsted is proud to have a proven track record of success with both. Our philosophy is built on keeping an open mind and challenging ourselves and the status quo. The goal is to shape the future of our industry.
Taking Schibsted into the future is a matter of having the right strategy, the right organizational structure and the right leadership capabilities at all times. From 2016 Schibsted is organized in a matrix with four geographies and five strong global functions that will enable us to deliver even better products to our users and customers – and at the same time strengthen our ecosystem strategy.
The overall mission of Schibsted Tech and Product is to develop the common global product platforms and technology infrastructure necessary to create data and identity based ecosystems; empowering local entrepreneurs, delighting users, and driving Schibsted’s future growth. We are looking for an engineering leader to help shape the future of scaling the data of 200+ million active users. We have an exciting position as VP of Engineering – Data Systems.
As VP of Data Systems, you will have overall responsibility for Schibsted’s Data Engineering team and strategy. Schibsted is undergoing a rapid transformation in the way we develop products and technology, and Data Engineering is at the heart of it. This team is responsible for collecting, processing, transforming, and storing Schibsted’s product and user data.
Data Engineering will be crucial to three key areas in Schibsted:
- Data Engineering will drive the wide adoption of machine learning and artificial intelligence by providing the tools and technical infrastructure needed to develop and deploy these technologies rapidly.
- Data Engineering will drive a data driven culture by making data easily accessible and useful by everyone in the company.
- Data Engineering will ensure that Schibsted derives maximum business value from our data while still honoring user privacy and building trust with our users.
You will be part of the Data Technology leadership group, have operational and strategic responsibility for Data Engineering at Schibsted, and report to the VP Engineering, Data (Adam Kinney), plus manage a geographically distributed team.
Your responsibilities and deliverables are:
- Build, lead, and manage the teams responsible for consistent data tracking with high quality.
- Align Data engineering across all Schibsted properties and brands (including legacy BI systems) and determine what should be developed centrally versus locally.
- Machine Learning at scale – everywhere.
- Empower and mentor team members to improve their craft, deliver high quality products, and develop themselves as leaders and engineers.
- Own the technical vision of your area; identify and manage risks, dependencies, and opportunities.
- Help enforce and continuously improve our software engineering practices, processes, and tools.
- Work closely with Product Managers & Engineering Leaders across Marketplaces, Publishing, Advertising, Infrastructure, and UX to ensure product objectives are realistic but aggressive, user needs are met, and success metrics are identified and reviewed.
To succeed in this position you will have a proven track record and:
- Minimum a BA/BS degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, other Science field or equivalent practical experience (PhD preferred).
- Have a hands-on technical background, with strong working knowledge of source code management, shared repos, SDKs & APIs, Libraries & Frameworks, and distributed architectures
- Strong interest in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
- Experience in leading teams and leading leaders across multiple locations/ geographies
- Brilliant communication skills. Understand and be able to communicate with all types of internal and external stakeholders
- You have excellent English, written and spoken and preferably master one other language fluently (Java or Klingon are ok).
- Outstanding product and engineering instincts and creativity combined with a passion for thinking big and disrupting the status quo
- Ability to inspire and guide teams without direct authority and provide hands-on leadership
- Expertise in building and maintaining large-scale, consumer-facing, high-traffic platforms a strong plus
To thrive in this position you must strive to:
- Be collaborative, create trust and develop people at all time – live Schibsted values and leadership principles
- Lead data driven and fact-based decision making at speed
- Share expertise and lead diversity while navigating in a complex matrix organization; influence without always having formal authority
We offer you:
- An opportunity to own an entire stack
- A chance to challenge the status quo and push the industry forward
- An organization with highly professional people to develop with and draw upon
- A position with challenging tasks and a balance between your professional and personal life
- An organization in constant change and plenty of ambiguity for the right people to thrive in